Don’t you just love pancakes? I know I do. I have several favorite recipes for different types of pancakes but when it comes to healthy pancakes, these rank #1. These are the secret love child of pancakes and oatmeal; what’s not to like? With no added sugar, these are a great way to start the day and your kids won’t suspect they are eating healthily!
- 1 very ripe medium banana
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 Tbsp water)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (coconut would be fine)
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
Prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed meal and water and letting it sit for 3-5 minutes. Mash your banana with baking powder. Add flax egg, oil, salt, vanilla, almond butter, almond milk, and stir.
Stir in oats and flour until just combined. Add chocolate chips and fold gently.
Preheat griddle/skillet/nonstick pan over medium heat and lightly grease. Pour 1/4 cup measurements onto pan. Lightly press down (they are thick like oatmeal). Cook 2-4 minutes each side, until golden brown.
Serve plain or with a small drizzle of maple syrup and a few additional chocolate chips for melting.